If you’ve been following me for a while now, you’ve probably come to realize how obsessed I am with them; commercially, they are the only yarn I use. They are such an inclusive company and always seem to find such greta ways to give back to the community, such as donating to St. Judes Children’s research Hospital through Vanna’s choice or partnering up with Warm Up America! Now, I’m happy to talk about their #HatNotHate campaign to tackle bullying.
Down below you can the free pattern to my Blue Seed Hat pattern!
To raise awareness, makers are encouraged to create their own blue hats to wear proudly on World Bullying Prevention Day on October 1st, 2018 and share the hashtag #HotNotHate on all your socials to raise the awareness. Lion Brand is partnering with STOMP Out Bullying, the leading national anti-bullying and cyberbullying organization for kids and teens in the US and will be donating 2% of the proceeds of blue yarns during the campaign to the cause. You can read the official blog post and learn more from Lion Brand directly HERE
How can you take part? (Take a read here for more info on STOMP and what you can do!)
1. Make a hat from any of my patterns using blue yarn (lots of options listed below).
2. Share a photo of you in your blue hat and hashtag #HatNotHate. Lion Brand and I will both be sharing select images.
3. Let people know you’re participating, and why. Encourage others to join in!
4. Donate blue hats to your local school and let them know what they stand for.
5. Wear your hat during October, which is Anti-Bullying Month, and encourage others to do so as well.
6. Join the Peace Hat KAL and share your progress on social media with the hashtags #HatNotHate and #PeaceHatKAL to spread awareness. You can sign up for updates on the KAL here: bit.ly/peacehatkalsignup
7. Donate hats back to Lion Brand by September 24th who will be gifting them to a local NY school for kids to wear on World Bullying Prevention Day, October 1st. Send hats to Lion Brand Yarn Co, Attn Shira Blumenthal HAT NOT HATE, 135 Kero Road, Carlstadt, NJ 07072
Here are some other great patterns to be inspired by!
Here is the free pattern for the Blue Seed Beanie!
Lion Brand Yarn Wool-Ease Thick & Quick (1 Skein)
10mm Crochet Hook
Pom Pom Maker
Ch – Chain
Sc – Single Crochet
Inc – Increase
Dc – Double Crochet
( ) – number of stitches at the end of the round
Dimensions: 17″-23″/43 cm (Average adult sized head)
You may adjust to your liking, but it will stretch after repeated wears!
Notes: Once the band is put together and the top of the hat is being created, you will work in continuous rounds.
Starting with the band:
Start with a chain 4.
Hdc into the second chain from hook, hdc across (3)
Ch 1, turn. Hdc across. (3)
***This will continue until you have finished the rows or your desired length!
To combine the band, slip stitch together.
Ch 1. Sc into the same stitch and sc around. Sl st to join.
(This will be the only round you will be joining, now at the end of the next round to go into a continuous round, you will just join with the appropriate stitch but be sure to pull it tight!)
Time for the seed stitch!
Ch 2, Dc into the same stitch. In the next stitch , sc. *Dc, sc* rep across.
Once you reach the next round, you will be reversing the stitch pattern to a *Sc, Dc* across.
Repeat these two rows**
Once you reach the number of rows above or desired length, time to close to top by pulling the corners together. (As seen below)
Once you’ve reached your length, fold your beanie in half
Take your hook and insert through both sides. Yarn over, and pull through.
Pull the first loop through to create a slip stitch.
You will now fold the next two corners and create a slip stitch back to the center! You will be left with 4 corners; continue this same process until you have 8 and pull together tightly. Now, create a pom pom and attach it!
I can’t wait to see everyone’s blue hat to raise awareness!